Thiruppampuram is a village situated 3 kms away from Karkaththi, a place westward of Kollumangudi on the kumbakonam – Kaaraikaal road. This is the 59th of the hymn ordained temples south of the kaaveri river. Smt Thirgnanaasambandar has sung pathigam on his temple. Saints Thirunavukkarasar and Sundarar have each sung one song on his temple.
Devotees can reach this temple by buses plying from Kumbakonam to Kaaraikaal via Kollumangudi to reach Karkaththi. Or by mini bus from Kollumangudi /Peralam. Kollumangudi/Peralam is at the intersection of Mayiladuthurai – Thiruvarur road and Kumbakonam – Kaaraikaal road. Hence this temple can easily be accessed from Mayiladuthurai, Thiruvarur,Kumbakonam or Kaaraikaal. It must be mentioned here that this temple is situated between the famous Navagraha temples of Thirunallar and Thirunageswaram.
Hundreds of devotees throng this temple as a purification Kendra for many graha conflicts. It is a fact that devotees are relived of their difficulties and they enthuse and accompany many others.
Chola kings succeeding vijayalaya chola (Tirugnanasambandar era). Renovated many brick-built temples into stone ones.and Thiruppampuram is one among them. Of the 15 inscriptions found in this temple most are found in the outer ring –six on the north, one in east,four in west and two in the south. Of these the oldest is from the period of kulothunga chola the third (11 78-1218 AD).Hence one can safely conclude this stone edifice is close to a millennium old.